The House of Silence by Avalon Bantley

• Üppige und atmosphärische Erzählung über die Heimkehr eines irischen Poeten ins Land seiner Väter. Vor allem die Naturbeschreibungen, die historischen Hintergründe des Übergangs vom Paganismus zum Christentum und die Anderswelt, die in ihrer Ausarbeitung hier oft sehr nahe an der Weird Fiction liegt, haben es mir angetan. Wobei ich die erste Hälfte für viel stärker halte. Die zweite Hälfte hat Längen, und dass die Mythologie so greifbar beschrieben wird tut der Stimmung meines Erachtens im zweiten Teil auch nicht gut. Aber alles in allem ein gutes Buch.

Zum Buch:

‘The House of Silence’ was discovered a few years ago, fortuitously, after an inspired second reading of one of my own favourite horror novels: William Hope Hodgson’s ‘The House on the Borderland’. I had found a perfect incidental soundtrack for this indulgence, composed by the German dark ambient project ‘Nostalgia’. Soon after began a binging upon all the works by Hodgson I collected for years but not yet fully ingested. I even, at long last, imbibed in full his massive, flawed and sentimental masterpiece, ‘The Night Land’. I found a deep, lingering charm in its quaint yet epic atmosphere—the almost hypnotising pseudo-archaisms, the unrelenting otherworldliness of its settings and inhabitants, the aura of its dark, almost childlike mystery and wonder. The dreamful flavours of that dense, blocky text persisted with me, as did the realisation that the famous house on the Borderland featured alike in ‘The Night Land’: it was the sinister House of Silence itself—the Borderland of Borderlands!” — Avalon Brantley

“The House of Silence” is a fascinating full length novel of 288 pages with illustrations, colored endpapers and a silk bookmark, head and tail bands, hardcover binding.

Numbered out of 170 copies with a silvery moonlight-shining cover.

Info vom Verlag: https://zagava.de/shop/the-house-of-silence

• Ich wurde gerade von meinem Buchhändler aufgeklärt, dass es sich bei Avalon Brantley um eine AutorIN handelte, die 27jährig verstorben sein soll. Wobei eine große (und hitzig geführte) Debatte ausgebrochen sein soll, ob es sich dabei nicht doch eher um das Pseudonym eines älteren SchriftstellERS handeln soll. Um ehrlich zu sein (und es ist mir auch wirklich gleich), tendiere ich -- so wie das Buch geschrieben ist -- persönlich eher zu zweiterem.