Wyrd (and other derelictions) by Adam Nevill

• Der Autor schreibt dazu auf FB:

"By 2015, after researching my novel, 'Lost Girl', for a few years, I began, increasingly, to imagine a world without us in it (someone has to). 'Lost Girl' is about the consequences of runaway climate change, twinned with all kinds of other global catastrophes (including zoonotic spillovers from endangered ecologies & species).

Partly as a consequence of this preoccupation with extinction, I wrote a weird tale without characters, 'Hippocampus'. Over the next few years, I then wrote another six of these "Derelictions". Five of the stories I kept back for a planned themed collection, dedicated to the aesthetic of dereliction.

I've now collected all seven stories into my third collection of horror stories: 'Wyrd and Other Derelictions'. And the book will be published this Halloween, through my own imprint again: Ritual Limited.

Wyrdly, by 2020, this approach to horror stories, the very aesthetic of emptiness, no longer feels so strange. These "Derelictions", uncannily, seem to have come into their own.

Folks who subscribe to my newsletter know all about the book. Some advanced reader copies have also landed with reviewers and kindly been shared in SM. So, it's time I gave a heads-up about this new book on here too.

Wyrd will be published in four formats: a high-spec' limited edition hardback, trade paperback, eBook and audio-book - internationally, on the same day (Oct 26th).

The hardback is only available from my webstore and three quarters of the 400 copy print run have already been pre-ordered by subscribers (over 200 in the first 24 hours). The paperback and eBook are up for pre-order at Amazon (ebook only available at Amazon and also included in Kindle Unlimited).

The original cover artwork - the parasite - was created again by the marvellous Samuel Araya. Sam created the cover for 'The Reddening' too. I've also used the same team of freelancers and printers to create the three editions and Journalstone are producing the audio book. Lot of work from a lot of people on a long critical path.

Wyrd' was ready to go at April's Stokercon, but the pestilence fell. So, way back in March, I let subscribers of my newsletter choose a publication date and the majority opted for Halloween. So, that's when it'll appear in the world. The right season for us in horror.

It's the kind of book I started my imprint for and I salute all in advance who embrace these unpopulated tales."

From the cover:

"Derelictions are horror stories told in ways you may not have encountered before.

Something is missing from the silent places and worlds inside these stories. Something has been removed, taken flight, or been destroyed. Us.

Derelictions are weird tales that tell of aftermaths and of new and liminal places. Each location has witnessed catastrophe, infernal visitations, or unearthly transformations. But across these landscapes of murder, genocide and invasion, crucial evidence remains. And it is the task of the reader to sift through ruin and ponder the residual enigma, to behold and wonder at the full horror that was visited upon mankind.

Wyrd contains seven derelictions, original tales of mystery and horror from the author of 'Hasty for the Dark' and 'Some Will Not Sleep' (winner of The British Fantasy Award for Best Collection)."

Link zur Homepage: https://www.adamlgnevill.com/ritual-limited-shop-2/

• Aber auch ein netter Kontrast zu seinen Romanen, die ja meist viel zu lang sind :D.

Das sehe ich auch so, und freue mich auch schon aufs Lesen, allerdings warte ich da auf ein späteres gutes 2nd hand Angebot.

Ist sicher nicht ganz fair, weil das ein Gratis-Buch ist, aber die Kurzgeschichten bzw. Fragmente in Nevills Cries From the Crypt schwächelten auf ähnliche Art wie seine schwächeren Romane, nur eben auf kürzerer Strecke: etwas beliebiger Plot und ein meh Ende. Mehr kann ich dazu nicht mehr sagen, weil mir peinlicherweise inzw. sämtliche Details entfallen sind (was vllt. ja auch für sich spricht).

Ich gehe aber davon aus, dass diese Sammlung qualitativ ganz wesentlich besser sein wird. Und ich bin insofern echt gespannt, weil Nevill ja einer der Autoren ist, die Spannung auch über längere Strecke enorm gut aufbauen und halten können. Das muss man sich umgekehrt zu dem Gros der Schreiber fragen: Schafft er das auch auf knappem Raum?

Na sichi

:| *grabbing my popcorn*

Na, jetzt bin ich aber echt gespannt! Berichte bitte, wenn du das Buch gelesen hast, das ist ja jetzt eine spannende Kombi (KG-Ablehner & Nevill-Fan).

• Ich bin sehr gespannt, was ihr sagt, das Thema "Die Welt ohne uns" finde ich seit langem extrem spannend und den Ansatz hab ich bei Nevill (da er sagte, dass das eines seiner Grundthemen sei) noch gar nicht so dominant wahrgenommen.

Nevill hat übrigens einen eigenen Thread, in dem auch (noch) Unübersetztes steht -> hier. [Cof]

• Mir ist nicht ganz klar, was du uns mit diesem Bild sagen willst :D, aber "Chew" fand ich damals grandios. Eine herrlich bekloppte und rührende Geschichte. (Poyo ist der Beste!)

"Outer Dark" war mir dann allerdings zu viel generische Space-Opera-Kost. Ich hab' aber auch nur das erste Trade gelesen und kann mich kaum noch an den Inhalt erinnern.

Beide Serien in einem Crossover zu vereinen, erscheint mir recht abenteuerlich - Könnte gerade deswegen jedoch wieder ganz interessant sein. Hast du den Band schon gelesen, Erik? Das "Chew"/"Revival"-Crossover war damals ja eher verzichtbar.

Und kennst du Laymans " Eleanor & the Egret"? Ich fand die Serie ganz nett. Lohnt sich mMn allein schon wegen den großartigen Zeichnungen von Sam Kieth.

• Nur, dass ich Wyrd habe (das gesamte Foto ist mein Halloween-Lesestapel). Outer Darkness fand ich übrigens grandios -- auf jeden Fall das Gegenteil von generisch, mit seinem Haunted Space Ansatz -- und bin ziemlich verärgert, dass es abgesetzt wurde. Chew habe ich auch geliebt, das revival erspare ich mir allerdings. Es kommt ja jetzt eine neue Serie "Chu" , werde ich auch nicht lesen. Ich mag es nicht, wenn gute, fertige serien zu Geldkühen verkommen. "Eleanor & the Egret" steht noch auf der Liste ...